by Dottie Smith
All of the towns and settlements shown below have existed in Shasta County at one time or another. Most are long gone, while many still exist. Some could have been nothing more than a stopping place that gave its name to a small settlement that grew up around the stopping place, or a railroad siding with a little settlement and a post office, or even a district. All of these places have appeared on maps at one time or another and all are listed in my book titled "The Dictionary of Early Shasta County History".
Afterthought. Became Ingot. 1870s.
Agland. Once near Ono. 1894.
Aiken Gulch. First known as Camp Gulch and Camp Creek. 1850s.
Albertson. Now Palo Cedro. 1883.
Albion District. Was near Carbon and the Pit River. 1880s.
Alfa. Once seven miles northwest of Burgettville. 1880s.
American Ranch. Predecessor of Anderson. 1854.
Anderson. South of Redding. 1872.
Antler. Now part of Lakehead. 1898.
Arbuckle. Igo/Ono area. 1851.
Back Action Flat. The hill east of Montgomery Creek. 1880s.
Bailey Camp. Once near Copley and Kennett. 1880s.
Baird. Once beside the McCloud River below Shasta Caverns. 1872.
Ball's Ferry. East of Anderson beside the Sacramento River. 1868.
Basin Hollow. Once north of Millville on Whitmore Road. 1857.
Bass. Now Mountain Gate. 1853.
Battle Creek. Where Govers Road crosses Battle Creek. 1850s.
Bayha. Once near Bridge Bay Resort. 1900.
Bayles. Became Delta. 1884.
Bear Valley. Now the area of Jones Valley. 1850s.
Beegum. Moved ten miles into Trinity County in 1900. 1895.
Bella Vista. East of Redding. 1887.
Bell's Bridge. Where Hwy. 273 crosses Clear Creek. 1851.
Big Bend. Was previously Indian Springs, Elena, Henderson. 1922.
Blue Ridge Community. Near Manton. 1880s.
Bonita. North of Kennett, now under Shasta Lake. 1880s.
Boomtown. Became Central Valley, now Shasta Lake City. 1938.
Boralma. Was west of Kennett. 1901.
Breechesburg. Became Briggsville. 1849.
Brewster. Near Burney. 1893.
Briggsville. Short distance east of Horsetown. 1849.
Brincard. At Centerville. 1879.
Brownsville. Became Copper City, now under Shasta Lake. 1862.
Buckeye. Was also known as Ohio City and Pumptown. 1849.
Bulgin’ Gulch. Was near Briggsville. 1850s.
Bullskin. Near Round Mountain. 1870s.
Bully Choop. Western Shasta County. 1870s.
Bully Hill. Was near DeLaMar, now under Shasta Lake. 1863.
Buncombe. Became Millville. 1850s.
Burgess. Was north of Montgomery Creek. 1891.
Burgettville. Was also known as Swasey and Glenburn. 1871
Burney. East of Redding. 1872
Buzzard Roost. Was first known as Government Camp. 1869.
Camp Bailey. Became Copley. 1870s.
Camp Gulch. Aiken Gulch. 1850s.
Campton District. Keswick. 1899.
Canon City. Was near Hwy. 273 and Buenaventura Road. 1848.
Carbon. Was east of Burney. 1885.
Cassel. Was first Fiddletown, is now Hat Creek. 1887.
Castella. First called Castle Rock. 1880s.
Castle Crags. North of Castella. 1892.
Castle Rock. Became Castella. 1880s.
Cayton. Near Burney. 1884.
Centerville. West of Redding. 1857.
Central Valley. Became Shasta Lake City. 1938.
Chestnut. Railroad siding in Sacramento River Canyon. 1880s.
Chicago. Mining settlement west of Igo. 1866.
Chinatowns. There were several on the outskirts of towns. 1850s.
Chromite. Was in Sacramento River Canyon. 1880s.
Churntown. Became Summit City, now Shasta Lake City. 1849.
Cinnabar. Castle Creek area. 1870s.
Circle City. Near Bully Hill on the side of the hill. 1860s.
Clarkville. Was near Gover’s Rd. and Coleman Hatchery Rd. 1856.
Clear Creek Diggings. Beside Clear Creek at Horsetown. 1849.
Cleveland. West of Igo. 1860s.
Cloverdale. Began as Oak Highlands. 1860s.
Coleman Powerhouse. East of Coleman Fish Hatchery. 1910.
Conant. South of Castella. 1880s.
Copley. South of Coram. 1886.
Copper City. Near Bully Hill. 1852.
Coram. South of Shasta Dam. 1906.
Cottonwood. On Shasta and Tehama County lines. 1846.
Cuargo. Railroad siding south of Keswick. 1880s.
Culp. Railroad siding north of Cottonwood. 1920s.
Dana. Northwest of Fall River Mills. 1881.
Deerhaven. North of Hazel Creek. 1918.
Delamar. Near Bully Hill. 1899.
Delta. Sacramento River Canyon. 1884.
Dog Town. Was south of Delta. 1855.
Dolde. Five miles southwest of Redding. 1890.
Duncan Fork. Near Ono. 1854.
Dutch Gulch. West of French Gulch. 1849.
Dutch Gulch. East of Texas Springs. 1850s.
Eagle Creek/Rock. Ono area. 1849.
Eilers. Southwest of Round Mountain. 1895.
Elderton. West of Cottonwood. 1860.
Elena. Became Big Bend. 1890.
Elizabethtown. Near Bully Hill, now under Shasta Lake. 1853.
Elmore. Railroad siding in the Sacramento River Canyon. 1880s.
Enterprise. Became part of Redding. 1966.
Etter. Railroad siding north of Morley. 1880s.
Eubanks. North of Castella. 1905.
Eudora Colony. German Colony settled east of Whitmore. 1885.
Fall City. Became Fall River Mills. 1860.
Fall River Mills. Was Fall City. 1880.
Fern. Near Whitmore. 1898.
Fiddletown. What Cassel was first called. 1880s.
Fielding. On Iron Mountain. 1897.
Fisher. Railroad siding in the Sacramento River Canyon. 1880s.
Fish’s Station. Became Mountain Gate. 1870s.
Flatwoods. Near Big Bend. 1890.
Fleaville. Near Ash Creek and Dersch Roads. 1850s.
Flume. Sacramento River Canyon. 1903.
Fortunate. Near Whiskeytown. 1851.
Franklin City. Became Whiskeytown. 1852.
French Gulch. Beside Clear Creek. 1854.
Furnaceville. Once one mile northeast of Ingot. 1875.
Gas Point. West of Cottonwood. 1875.
Gibson. Sacramento River Canyon. 1880s.
Girvan. South of Redding. 1872.
Glenburn. First known as Burgettville and Swasey. 1892.
Goering. Northeast of Redding. 1879.
Goldsboro. Became Harrison Gulch. 1896.
Good Hope. Was southwest of Round Mountain. 1895.
Government Camp/City. Became Toyon. 1938.
Greaseville. One-time knick-name for Parkville. 1880s.
Gregory. Now part of Lakehead. 1900.
Grizzly City/Gulch. Near Oak Bottom. 1852.
Halcyon. Post Office at Smithson. 1882.
Hall City. Southwest Shasta County. 1895.
Happy Valley. First known as Oak Highlands and Oak. 1881.
Harrison Gulch. Southwest Shasta County. 1896.
Hart/Hart Village. Also known as Hart’s Camp and Old Diggings. 1890s.
Hat Creek. Near Cassel. 1884.
Hat Creek Colony. German settlement at Hat Creek. 1887.
Hatchet Mountain. Lumber settlement on summit of mountain. 1872.
Hazel Creek. Sacramento River Canyon. 1855.
Henderson. Became Big Bend. 1906.
Heroult. Was on north shore of Pit River near Squaw Creek. 1907.
Hill. West Redding. 1857.
Hillcrest. Was Back Action Flat near Montgomery Creek. 1942.
Hogtown. West Redding near Keswick. 1849.
Hong Kong. What the Chinatown at Shasta was called. 1850s.
Horsetown. Beside Clear Creek west of Redding. 1849.
Igo. Western Shasta County. 1866.
Ingot. First called Silverton. 1904.
Inwood. East of Redding. 1887.
Iron Mountain. West of Shasta Lake. 1887.
Jackass Flat. Was between Horsetown and Centerville. 1850s.
Janesville. What Gas Point was first called. 1852
Jerusalem Creek. West of Gas Point. 1860.
Jessup. Railroad station north of Anderson. 1872.
Jillsonville. Gladstone Mine company town near French Gulch. 1912.
Jones Valley. Was first Bear Valley, 1850s.
Keeran. East of Viola. 1900.
Kendon. Near Ingot. 1900.
Kennett. Beside Sacramento River now beneath Shasta Lake. 1884.
Keswick. West of Redding, east of Shasta. 1896.
Kett. Railroad siding near Matheson. 1880s.
Kilna. Near mouth of Middle Creek at Sacramento River. 1852.
Kimberly. West of Shasta Dam. 1908.
Knob/Knob Gulch. Near Harrison Gulch. 1896.
Lakehead. At the head of Shasta Lake. 1951.
Lamoine. Beside Slate Creek north of Lakehead. 1900.
Larkin. At Centerville. 1899.
Latona. Where Latona Road deadends at the Sacramento River. 1850.
Latson. Near Big Bend. 1891.
Leighton. East of Redding. 1889.
Leland. At Castella. 1890.
Lincoln. Never materialized; on paper only. Was to be near Diestelhorst Bridge. 1861.
Lisbon. South of Castella. 1886.
Loftus. Was originally Pollock. 1944.
Log Town. Suburb of Harrison Gulch. 1890s
Lookout. Railroad siding in Sacramento River Canyon. 1880s.
Loomis. Was Viola. 1878.
Loomis Corners. Once located northwest of Bella Vista. 1861.
Lower Soda Springs. Castle Crags area beside Soda Creek. 1843.
Lower Springs. Southeast of Shasta. 1849.
Mabel. South of Delta. 1885.
Mad Mule Canyon. Northwest of Whiskeytown. 1851.
Mad Ox Canyon. Near Shasta. 1852.
Manning Falls. Near Fall River Mills. 1860s.
Manton. Straddles Shasta and Tehama County. 1889.
Manzanita Lake. Near Lassen Peak. 1934.
Matheson. West of Redding. 1922.
McArthur. Fall River Valley. 1869.
McColl. Railroad siding near Baird. 1940s.
Middle Creek. West of Redding. 1849
Middletown. West of Redding between Shasta and Horsetown. 1850.
Midway. Became Project City. 1930s.
Midway. Five miles west of Shingletown. 1936.
Millville. East of Redding. 1860.
Montgomery Creek/Ferry. East of Redding. 1877.
Moorestown. What Briggsville was once called. 1850s.
Morrowville. West of French Gulch. 1849.
Motion . Became Copley. 1880s.
Mountain Gate. First known as Stillwater. 1853.
Muletown. Southwest of Shasta. 1849.
New Jerusalem. Also known as Jerusalem Creek. 1860.
Newtown. North of Buckeye. 1849.
New Town. Became Latona. 1850.
Nutglade. Railroad siding just south of Siskiyou County. 1880s.
Oak. Now Happy Valley. 1897.
Oak Bottom. Now Oak Bottom Marina at Whiskeytown Lake. 1853.
Oak Highlands. Now Happy Valley. 1860.
Oak Run. Was known as Dry Creek mining area east of Redding. 1852.
O’Brien. North of Redding. 1945.
Ohio City. What Buckeye was first called. 1849.
Old Diggins/Diggings. Near Buckeye. 1918.
Old Station. Also known as Hat Creek east of Redding. 1850s.
Olinda. Happy Valley area. 1890.
Olney. South of Redding. 1852.
One Horse Town. Became Horsetown. 1849.
One Mule Town. Became Muletown. 1853.
One Wagon Town. Was also known as Churntown. 1850s.
Ono. Was first Eagle Rock west of Redding. 1849.
Oregon Gulch. West of Redding. 1848.
Pacheco. South of Redding. 1884.
Palo Cedro. East of Redding. 1891.
Panorama Point. Klotz Mill lumber dump near Cottonwood. 1870s.
Parkville. Beside Bear Creek about four miles north of Balls Ferry. 1850s.
Pawnee. Between Millville and Whitmore. 1894.
Piety Hill. Igo area. 1849.
Pinckney. West of Cottonwood. 1881.
Pine Grove. West of Shingletown. 1850.
Pine Grove. West of McArthur. 1880s.
Pine Grove. North of Redding; now Shasta Lake City. 1938.
Pine View. East of Redding. 1885.
Pineland. Montgomery Creek area. 1901.
Pittsburgh. Near Copper City; now under Shasta Lake. 1853.
Pittville. East of McArthur straddling Lassen and Shasta County. 1873.
Plateau. East of Redding. 1880s.
Platina. Was first Nobles Station. 1921.
Pollard Flat/Gulch. Was first Portuguese Flat in Sacramento River Canyon. 1882.
Pollock. Now beneath Shasta Lake. 1918.
Portuguese Flat. Now Pollard Flat in Sacramento River Canyon. 1855.
Poverty Ridge/Flat. Once the flat area above the Sacramento River near Diestelhorst Bridge. 1850s.
Project City. Now Shasta Lake City. 1938.
Pumptown. Was Buckeye area. 1850s.
Quartz Hill/City. Keswick area. 1849.
Reading. Became Latona. 1850.
Reading. See Redding.
Reading’s Bar. Gold discovery site west of Redding. 1848.
Reading’s Springs. Became Shasta. 1845.
Redding. First called Poverty Flats, later Reading. 1872.
Roaring River. Bald Hills area. 1850s.
Roberts. At Palo Cedro. 1885.
Rock Creek. West of Shasta. 1850s.
Rockland. Shingletown area. 1878.
Rough Hollow. Pittville area. 1897.
Round Mountain. East of Redding. 1872.
Sallee. North of Redding; now beneath Shasta Lake. 1880s.
Schilling. Another Whiskeytown name. 1917.
Scobieville. A “moving” railroad settlement on wheels between Dunsmuir and Redding. 1884.
Seaman’s Place. Became Toyon. 1855.
Shasta. West of Redding. 1848.
Shasta Lake City. Was first Central Valley, Summit City, Project City. 1993.
Shingletown/Camp. East of Redding. 1853.
Silver City. Ingot area. 1862.
Silverthorne. North of Redding. 1850s.
Silverton. Also known as Ingot, east of Redding. 1852.
Sims. Sacramento River Canyon. 1859.
Slate Creek. Sacramento River Canyon. Same as Slatonis. 1880.
Slatonis. Sacramento River Canyon. Same as Slate Creek. 1880.
Smith Center/Smithville. Same location as Pinckney once was. 1914.
Smithson. Was also known as Pollock. Now part of Lakehead. 1882.
South Fork. West of Redding. 1866.
Spring Creek. Keswick area; first bridge across Sacramento River. 1870.
Star City. North of Redding. 1850s.
Stella. Became Whiskeytown. 1885.
Stillwater. Area between Mountain Gate and Loomis Corners. 1853.
Sugarloaf. North of Redding. 1859.
Summit City. Now Shasta Lake City. 1938.
Sunny Hill. Ono Area. 1850s.
Swasey. Fall River Valley; became Glenburn. 1888.
Sweetbriar. Sacramento River Canyon. 1880s.
Sweetwater. Sacramento River Canyon. 1858.
Tamarac. Became Whitmore. 1860s.
Taylor. Suburb of Keswick. 1897.
Texas Springs. West of Redding. 1849.
Thelma. Also known as Taylor. 1890s.
Tower House. Near French Gulch. 1851.
Toyon. First known as Seaman’s Place and U. S. Reservation. 1855.
Tuttle Town/Gulch. Bald Hills. 1850.
U. S. Reservation. Toyon housing for Shasta Dam workers. 1938.
Upper Springs. Became Shasta. 1848
Victor. Harrison Gulch area. 1890s.
Viola. East of Shingletown. 1888.
Vollmers. Sacramento River Canyon. 1909.
Volta. Southeast of Redding. 1900.
Wanamina. Manton ara. 1904.
Waugh. Where Middle Creek flows into Sacramento River. 1880s.
Wengler. Big Bend area. 1899.
Whiskeytown. West of Redding. 1849.
Whitehouse. North of Redding. 1893.
Whitmore. First called Tamarac. 1860s.
Winthrop. Now beneath Shasta Lake on east side. 1900.
Ydalpom. Now beneath Shasta Lake where Copper City was. 1888.